Monday, April 13, 2009

Hope Amidst Despair

The following passage has been in my Bible for years. One of my friends lost her cousin this past Wednesday to suicide and in an effort to find something from the Bible to share with her on this difficult subject, trying to give her some hope, I found this again. I felt it was worth sharing here.

-------------------
By Beth Hays

(Elijah) sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die. "I have had enough Lord." he said, "Take my life, for I am no better than my ancestors."
~1 Kings 19:4

When I was thirteen years old I lost my best friend to suicide. I was beyond devastated. The one person I really loved had chosen to end his life. I felt a whirlwind of emotions. I couldn't understand how he could have left me. I didn't understand whe he would WANT to die.

I found out less than a year later. I became suicidal. I felt so alone and unwanted. Why should I fight through the pain to live if I was unwanted? I was extremely close to ending it all when I found my faith. I was introduced to Jesus and He quickly became my best friend.

As I have grown I have learned that everyone feels the temptation to end it all. Far too many act on those temptations. But, as in my case, sometimes it is the catalyst for wonderful things. Elijah, a wonderful prophet who is known for his amazing faith and deeds even wanted to die. Had he acted on those desires we know that he would not have seen the wonderful glory he did when he went to heaven on a pillar of fire. But, he didn't.

The good news: You don't have to either.

God is ready and willing to help lift you out of the pit of despair and depression. He is ready to hold your hand as you stand back up. Until you can do that on your own, He is ready and willing to carry you. You have people around you who DO love you. You have Christian brothers and sisters who pray for you. Lean on those who love you...especially on God. If you can't see those people in your life, or if you need direction on where to look in the Bible, or simply need a friend, feel free to contact me.
------------

I was suicidal once and God lifted me out of my pit of despair, and He used some amazing people to do so. If you're in that pit you're not alone. If you need immediate help please contact the following:
http://www.hopeline.com/
1-800-SUICIDE

No comments:

Post a Comment